Friday, May 21, 2010

New Gets

My Uncle-in-Law gave me this Sargent & Co. Ajax Bow Saw.



It's maple, and there are traces of green, red, and white paint. When I get some time I think I would enjoy making a copy. The broken stretcher and front blade mount are fatal problems for this saw, but I really like the turnbuckle tensioning system. For now the saw decorates the shop wall, but I may "borrow" this when I make a new one.



I haven't done much research yet, but it looks like Sargent & Co was based in New Haven, Connecticut, and made a variety of things from handplanes to cowbells.





Thanks, Uncle Bryan!

UPDATE

While looking into this further, I've come across this copy of a 1911 Sargent catalogue. I can't find an exact match for the saw, but I did find this ad for the Ajax extra heavy saw rod.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I'm a woodworker on the Canadian prairie.