Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Krenov Plane

I made myself a wood smoother last week.

I used the vacuum bag to laminate a Lignum Vitae sole to the Cherry body.





I bandsawed the cheeks off, then cut the ramps on the mitre saw.



I'm making a pair, exactly the same, but one with a standard bed angle of 45°, and one at the Norris angle of 55°.

I lapped the iron bed with sandpaper on granite, working my way up to 220 grit. Checking it with a square as I worked it kept it perpendicular to the sides.



I tricked it out with an ebony wedge and crosspin. For kicks I treated the cheeks like a piece of marquetry,the circle in ebony, the three in lignum. It's the same length as a Stanley #3

Assembled:



And working:



I'm pleased with the results, the BEM in that photo came out like glass.

1 comment:

  1. I am an Employee of Cidiacedid.com wood working Machineries & Trading Company, I really appreciate for this great post, awesome post. Thanks keep updates.

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I'm a woodworker on the Canadian prairie.